Oct, 20, 2019
On October 20, the 2020 Stewardship campaign will culminate with a day to commit our time to a day of congregational service.
“We think First Serves is even more relevant this year,” said the Reverend Pen Peery. “With the church-wide theme of belonging, we hear from members that serving side-by-side strengthens our sense that we belong to God and to each other.”
Register here for service opportunities.
Here is the schedule for the day:
- 10 a.m. – Congregational brunch
- 11 a.m. – Worship
- Noon-2:30 p.m. – Service opportunities
On First Serves Sunday, the 9 a.m. worship service and all Formation classes will be cancelled. Everyone is encouraged to dress casually and wear their First Presbyterian t-shirt. Most projects are suitable for youth and adults, unless noted otherwise.
Service opportunities include:
- Rise Against Hunger set-up, meal packing and clean-up. Suitable for K-Adults.
- Youth Book Drive to collect, sort and deliver books for Promising Pages, a nonprofit organization that distributes books to children with few, if any, books at home, including Westerly Hills students.
- Making blankets for Lakewood Preschool’s new class of two-year-olds.
- Support counselors at Westerly Hills Academy by making mindfulness jars to be used as calm-down tools for students. Suitable for school-aged children and up.
- Kitchen clean-up.
- Prepare care cards for college students and people on the church’s prayer list.
- Silver polishing, suitable for adults.
- Sanctuary clean-up, including dusting, vacuuming and general cleaning of the sanctuary.
- Organize, clean, and stock the Loaves and Fishes pantry.
- Window cleaning of exterior church windows.
- Pressure washing playground equipment, fences, exterior windows.
Sign up here for a service opportunity, for brunch and for child care (provided from 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. for infants through children five years old). You can sign up at church and purchase a church t-shirt on Sundays, October 6 and 13.