February 8, 2019
The Christmas tree has long since been hauled off to the landfill. The boxes with Christmas lights and ornaments are safely tucked away in the attic gathering dust until next year. Christmas is pretty much a memory.
But not for everyone.
Many of you made purchases at our church’s Alternative Gift Market. Instead of buying another sweater or a pair of Christmas socks, you make contributions to organizations here in Charlotte and around the world that provide love and care and comfort to people in need.
Because of the gifts you gave, people are still today benefiting from your Christmas generosity.
This year’s Alternative Gift Market raised $5,500 to help people in need.
- Camp Grier (a summer camp experience for students at Westerly Hills and Lakewood Preschool): $355
- A Child’s Place (a program supporting children experiencing homelessness): $195
- Community Link (supports homeless veterans, meals for homeless families): $230
- Crisis Assistance Ministry (assistance for families in crisis): $190
- Friendship Trays (supplies meals for elderly, handicapped, ill and homebound in our community): $525
- Habitat for Humanity (safe, affordable housing for hard-working families): $115
- Lakewood Preschool (provides free, high-quality preschool education ): $105
- Loaves and Fishes (nutritious groceries for neighbors facing economic hardship): $490
- Urban Ministry Center (serves people facing homelessness and poverty): $260
- Westerly Hills Academy (gifts support our church’s literacy initiative at Westerly Hills): $655
- YWCA – Central Carolinas (supports programs for women and families in transition): $10
- First Presbyterian Church Mission Trips (work supplies and equipment for youth and adult on our church’s mission trips): $30
- Cuba Partnership (supports programs at the seminary with which we have a partnership): $260
- Haiti Partnership (supports the work of our partnership in Bayonnais, Haiti): $705
- Mexico Partnership (supports the work of Acción Ministries with meals, housing, and scholarships for Mayan children): $1000
- Russia Partnership (our gifts help to build a church in Russia where faith communities still face persecution): $10
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (helps communities rebuild following natural disasters): $365
Thank you for your support. And if you would like to provide additional support to these agencies, your gifts will be greatly appreciated by those whose lives are being blessed because of you.
~ The Reverend Chuck Williamson
« Previous Blog Post
Next Blog Post »