August 19, 2019
Get your winter flu shot at one of the three flu clinics at the church. Clinic dates are:
Tuesday, October 1, 8 – 9:30 a.m.
Wednesday, October 2, 12:30 -1:30 p.m.
Please bring your insurance card. If you are age 65 and older, please bring a copy of your Medicare card and Part D.
Beginning Sunday, September 8, the 11 a.m. worship will be broadcast live on WAXN-TV, channel 64. Check the listings for your local cable provider for details about where to find this station. The service will continue to stream live on the Worship page on the church website.
August 16, 2019
All volunteers who work with children and youth are required to complete a background check and training every three years. If you need to complete this training, please join us Tuesday, August 27 @ 7:30 – 8:15 p.m., and log in for our Zoom meeting (sign up at http://bit.ly/CYPPTrainingAugust required) RSVP is required.
August 13, 2019
A few spots are still available for this October 28-November 4 trip to support the health clinic, church and schools in Bayonnais, Haiti. Contact Glenna Cook to learn more.
August 12, 2019
Westerly Hills Academy (WHA) is a bright spot in an economically disadvantaged community located 10 minutes from the church. First Presbyterian has partnered with WHA since the fall of 2000. The issues our city is facing right now—lack of opportunity in education and lack of affordable housing, for example—are issues WHA families struggle with every day.
Here are ways you can support WHA children, families and staff:
- Heart volunteers provide one-on-one tutoring for 30 minutes or one hour each week from late September to early May, delivering Heart’s effective curriculum (98% of students achieve their growth goals as a result of this program) and acting as a positive influence. Sign up for weekly slot on Tuesdays through Fridays at https://hearttutoring.org/volunteers/become-a-volunteer/#volunteer .
- HELPS volunteers provide one-on-one fluency tutoring to second and third graders from 10–11:15 a.m. Monday-Friday each week from September 23 through April 30. Training is provided, as well as a curriculum proven to improve reading speed and accuracy. Students receiving the tutoring 3 times per week were able to eliminate 75% of their deficit to grade level proficiency last year. Sign up at https://readcharlotte.org/helps/
- Augustine Literacy Project provides free, one-on-one instruction in reading, writing and spelling to struggling low-income students. It is the gold standard of early literacy interventions for volunteers committed to making a difference. Learn more and sign up at https://alpcharlotte.org/.
Exchange Your Social Capital through Communities in Schools
Communities in Schools is recruiting Success Coaches to help students develop skills in goal setting and decision-making. Volunteers meet with a student weekly (minimum of twice a month) at an established time during the school day. In addition to Success Coaching, CIS provides opportunities to offer a job shadow, be on a career panel, review a college essay, mentor senior exit projects and more. Check out the volunteer tab at www.cischarlotte.org for more information.
Work with one teacher throughout the year
Spend one hour a week getting to know a WHA teacher and assisting specific students in his/her classroom. You can select the time and day that fits with your schedule.
If you can’t get to Westerly Hills during the school day, there are plenty of other ways to get involved.
The next First Fruits Fellowship will be October 3 at Mere’s in Dilworth . First Fruits gatherings are on the first Thursday of each month, and they are opportunities for casual fellowship during the week. For information, contact Mary Margaret Porter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
FPC Schools will offer the final fall worship service for children on November 13 at 9:50 a.m. in the Sanctuary. The lesson will be Jonah and the Big Fish, taken from Jonah 1-4. All children are welcome.
Two sessions will be offered as part of the Kindergarten Readiness Program offered by the two FPC Schools. Session One will be What Does it Mean to be Kindergarten Ready? It will be offered on Thursday, September 12, in Wood Fellowship Overflow, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Session Two, School Choice, will be on Thursday, September 26, at the same time and location.
The Westerly Hills Academy Apple Tree, sponsored by Presbyterian Women, will be in full bloom August 18-September 15 to provide a goody bag of supplies for all 45 classrooms. You can show your support in three ways:
- Pick an apple from the tree, which will be in the lobby, and purchase the supplies or a gift card and return them to the bin in the back hall behind the sanctuary.
- Mail a check to the church with “Westerly Hills Academy Apple Tree donation” noted in the memo line.
- Make an online donation. The donations will be used specifically to purchase teacher planners, dry erase markers, felt tip pens and sticky notes.
Please have all donations to the church by Thursday, September 19. If you have questions, Contact Christe Eades, email@example.com.