August 13, 2019
A few spots are still available for this October 28-November 4 trip to support the health clinic, church and schools in Bayonnais, Haiti. Contact Glenna Cook to learn more.
August 12, 2019
Westerly Hills Academy (WHA) is a bright spot in an economically disadvantaged community located 10 minutes from the church. First Presbyterian has partnered with WHA since the fall of 2000. The issues our city is facing right now—lack of opportunity in education and lack of affordable housing, for example—are issues WHA families struggle with every day.
Here are ways you can support WHA children, families and staff:
- Heart volunteers provide one-on-one tutoring for 30 minutes or one hour each week from late September to early May, delivering Heart’s effective curriculum (98% of students achieve their growth goals as a result of this program) and acting as a positive influence. Sign up for weekly slot on Tuesdays through Fridays at https://hearttutoring.org/volunteers/become-a-volunteer/#volunteer .
- HELPS volunteers provide one-on-one fluency tutoring to second and third graders from 10–11:15 a.m. Monday-Friday each week from September 23 through April 30. Training is provided, as well as a curriculum proven to improve reading speed and accuracy. Students receiving the tutoring 3 times per week were able to eliminate 75% of their deficit to grade level proficiency last year. Sign up at https://readcharlotte.org/helps/
- Augustine Literacy Project provides free, one-on-one instruction in reading, writing and spelling to struggling low-income students. It is the gold standard of early literacy interventions for volunteers committed to making a difference. Learn more and sign up at https://alpcharlotte.org/.
Exchange Your Social Capital through Communities in Schools
Communities in Schools is recruiting Success Coaches to help students develop skills in goal setting and decision-making. Volunteers meet with a student weekly (minimum of twice a month) at an established time during the school day. In addition to Success Coaching, CIS provides opportunities to offer a job shadow, be on a career panel, review a college essay, mentor senior exit projects and more. Check out the volunteer tab at www.cischarlotte.org for more information.
Work with one teacher throughout the year
Spend one hour a week getting to know a WHA teacher and assisting specific students in his/her classroom. You can select the time and day that fits with your schedule.
If you can’t get to Westerly Hills during the school day, there are plenty of other ways to get involved.
Provide a weekly food bag (individually or with a group) for a WHA child each week from September-June. Bring five bags at the first of the month and place in the grocery cart in the hallway behind the sanctuary. Sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080c45a8aa28aafa7-project2.
Support a Teacher through the Apple Tree
Contribute to a classroom by purchasing items selected from the PW Apple Tree located in the Historical Lobby. Items are due back by September 19. You can also donate online. (add link)
Community Clean Up Day
Freshen up the WHA campus with other community members on Saturday, September 28, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
Contact Heather Herring (email@example.com) if you are interested or have questions.
First Fruits Fellowship will return on Thursday, September 5. The September gathering will be at Napa on Providence. First Fruits gatherings are on the first Thursday of each month. For information, contact Mary Margaret Porter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
FPC Schools offer the following monthly worship service for children this fall. Services are at 9:50 a.m. in the sanctuary.
- September 25: Teach Us to Pray, Luke 11:1-4
- October 23: Noah Obeys God, Genesis 6:1-9,17
- November 13: Jonah and the Big Fish, Jonah 1-4
Two sessions will be offered as part of the Kindergarten Readiness Program offered by the two FPC Schools. Session One will be What Does it Mean to be Kindergarten Ready? It will be offered on Thursday, September 12, in Wood Fellowship Overflow, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Session Two, School Choice, will be on Thursday, September 26, at the same time and location.
The Westerly Hills Academy Apple Tree, sponsored by Presbyterian Women, will be in full bloom August 18-September 15 to provide a goody bag of supplies for all 45 classrooms. You can show your support in three ways:
- Pick an apple from the tree, which will be in the lobby, and purchase the supplies or a gift card and return them to the bin in the back hall behind the sanctuary.
- Mail a check to the church with “Westerly Hills Academy Apple Tree donation” noted in the memo line.
- Make an online donation. The donations will be used specifically to purchase teacher planners, dry erase markers, felt tip pens and sticky notes.
Please have all donations to the church by Thursday, September 19. If you have questions, Contact Christe Eades, email@example.com.
Are you looking to serve others in the world? Two global mission trips planned for this program year are:
- Mexico/March 2020: Contact Martha Eubank.
- Russia/Summer 2020: Begin making plans now to go on this mission trip to Russia to continue our support of the ministry of Hope Baptist Church in Ryazan. Contact Mary Elizabeth Coley.
Presbyterian Women (PW) will provide a special welcome on Sunday, September 29, to women who have joined the church in the previous six months. New members will be able to meet other women members of the church, learn about ways to get involved at FPC, and hear about PW events, circles and activities. This event will be held in Lemma Howerton, room S202, at 10 a.m.