We have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us: prophecy, in proportion to faith; ministry, in ministering; the teacher, in teaching; the exhorter, in exhortation; the giver, in generosity; the leader, in diligence; the compassionate, in cheerfulness. – Romans 12:6-8
Transforming Our World
We offer our time and abilities to answer God’s call to participate in the transformative work of the Holy Spirit. Through mission and outreach, we offer many ways to serve others in our community and around the world.
Associate Pastor for Mission
Child & Family Partnership Coordinator
Mary Scott Peterson
Ministry Team Coordinator
In Our Congregation
Within our congregation, we serve one another in many ways through our Ministry Teams. We teach and mentor, we greet or offer hospitality, we visit the homebound or we participate in worship. Take a look at the many opportunities and contact us about sharing your talents. Contact Mary Scott Peterson to learn more about the many ways our members serve one another. Or look for immediate opportunities to serve on the website’s Now at FPC page, under Tickets & Signups or News & Announcements.
- Teaching and Mentoring
- Care and Concern
- Worship and Arts
In Our Community
Here at the intersection of Church and Trade streets, First Presbyterian Church members have a unique opportunity to serve our neighbors in the heart of Charlotte and throughout our city. Our location gives us the chance to be hands-on partners with agencies and initiatives that fight hunger and poverty. We also support the need for better education and more economic opportunities. Some of the ways we share our gifts of time, talent and resources locally include:
- Housing the largest Loaves and Fishes pantry in the region
- Providing meals and shelter to our homeless neighbors two nights a week during the coldest months of the year as part of Room in the Inn
- Sponsoring more than 60 children every summer for Camp Grier in the North Carolina mountains—a project we’ve been carrying out for more than 40 years
- Offering six weeks of summer academic intervention for young scholars from Westerly Hills School, in conjunction with BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life)
- Working year after year with such diverse organizations as Charlotte Rescue Mission, Crisis Assistance Ministry, Urban Ministry Center, Stop Hunger Now, Habitat for Humanity and more
Contact Mary Scott Peterson to learn more about the many ways our members serve our community. If you are interested in creating better opportunities for children in West Charlotte through our partnership with Westerly Hills Academy, contact Erika Funk. Or look for immediate opportunities to serve on the website’s Now at FPC page.
In Our World
The regional and global ministries of First Presbyterian span continents and issue areas, with mission teams supporting ministries ranging from Eastern North Carolina to Haiti, Russia, The Congo, Cuba and the Yucatan. These ministries develop churches, schools, pastors and medical clinics; equip Presbyterian missionaries; and help our members build powerful relationships with their brothers and sisters in Christ around the globe.
- In Haiti, our partner Outreach for Christ in Bayonnais (OFCB) serves a remote mountain valley, working with two schools, a clinic and the local church. Our members participate in mission trips once or twice a year.
- In the Democratic Republic of Congo, we support missionaries in their work with partner churches and organizations to help them develop stronger health care in Congo.
- From the WEC (Worldwide Evangelization for Christ) headquarters in Singapore, we support mission workers who bring good news to some of the most isolated places in the world.
- In Ryazan, Russia, our partners are members of Hope Baptist Church, which, despite religious persecution and economic difficulties, is a growing and thriving ministry. Our members participate in mission trips every few years.
- In Mexico, we partner with Accion Ministries and VIM (Villa Infantil Maya or The Mayan Children’s Village), which provide residential care for poor children from the surrounding villages where there are no middle or high schools, as well as a few children who are orphaned or live under difficult situations.
- In Cuba, we support the Evangelical Theological Seminary in Matanzas. The ecumenical seminary educates ministers and lay people in Cuba, where a generation of citizens has not experienced open worship opportunities and is now freely sharing their faith in God, their support of the church, and their love of their neighbors.
Both adults and youth at First Presbyterian participate in domestic and international mission trips. Contact the Reverend Erika Funk if you are interested in our global missions.
2018 Mission Trips Dates
- Haiti: February 1-6
- Cuba: April 19-25
- Mexico: November 5-10
Opportunities to Serve Now
You are invited to jump in and begin making a difference with your First Presbyterian brothers and sisters any time. Right now, on the Now@FPC page on the website, you’ll find links to participate in service opportunities as diverse as Habitat for Humanity, the Moving Ministry with Crisis Assistance, Room in the Inn for women, and Westerly Hills Academy, a school we support and nurture in West Charlotte.
Watch this space and the Now@FPC page for ongoing opportunities to serve.
Ministry Teams: Sharing Our Gifts from God
That’s what Ministry Teams are: The place where we share the gifts God has given us.
At First Presbyterian Church, we are blessed with an abundance of places to live out God’s calling to us. So let’s make it easy for you to find where you fit in.
Three simple steps: Here are three simple steps for tapping into what God is doing in and through our congregation.
- Explore: Talk to others. Ask questions. Pray. Discern.
- Show Up: Give something a try. Join in. Check your options on the website’s Now@FPC page.
- Trust God: If you do steps one and two, God pulls you into the heart of the church and creates results you never imagined.
What stirs your heart and soul? Think about these seven core areas where your gifts and your interests might match what God is unleashing in the heart of Charlotte.
- Care & Prayer
- Global Mission
- Growing in Faith
- Hunger, Housing & Poverty
- Welcome, Hospitality & Fellowship
- Worship & Music
Visit the Resources page on the website for details about opportunities in these areas. Or contact Mary Scott Peterson, our Member Engagement Coordinator, 704.927.0242. Or just show up and watch what God does.