In Our Congregation
Within our congregation, we serve one another in many ways through our Ministry Teams. We teach and mentor, we greet or offer hospitality, we visit the homebound or we participate in worship. Take a look at the many opportunities and contact us about sharing your talents. Contact Mary Scott Peterson to learn more about the many ways our members serve one another.
- Teaching and Mentoring
- Care and Concern
- Worship and Arts
In Our Community
Here at the intersection of Church and Trade streets, First Presbyterian Church members have a unique opportunity to serve our neighbors in the heart of Charlotte and throughout our city. Our location gives us the chance to be hands-on partners with agencies and initiatives that fight hunger and poverty. We also support the need for better education and more economic opportunities. Some of the ways we share our gifts of time, talent and resources locally include:
- Housing the largest Loaves and Fishes pantry in the region
- Providing meals and shelter to our homeless neighbors two nights a week during the coldest months of the year as part of Room in the Inn
- Sponsoring more than 60 children every summer for Camp Grier in the North Carolina mountains—a project we’ve been carrying out for more than 40 years
- Offering six weeks of summer academic intervention for young scholars from Westerly Hills School, in conjunction with BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life)
- Working year after year with such diverse organizations as Charlotte Rescue Mission, Crisis Assistance Ministry, Urban Ministry Center, Stop Hunger Now, Habitat for Humanity and more
Contact Mary Scott Peterson to learn more about the many ways our members serve one our community. If you are interested in creating better opportunities for children in West Charlotte through our partnership with Westerly Hills Academy, contact Erika Funk. Or look for immediate opportunities to serve on the website’s Now at FPC page.
In Our World
The regional and global ministries of First Presbyterian span continents and issue areas, with mission teams supporting ministries ranging from the Gulf Coast to Haiti, Russia, The Congo, Cuba and the Yucatan. These ministries develop churches, schools, pastors and medical clinics; equip Presbyterian missionaries; and help our members build powerful relationships with their brothers and sisters in Christ around the globe.
- In Haiti, our partner Outreach for Christ in Bayonnais (OFCB) serves a remote mountain valley, working with two schools, a clinic and the local church. Our members participate in mission trips once or twice a year.
- In the Democratic Republic of Congo, we support missionaries in their work with partner churches and organizations to help them develop stronger health care in Congo.
- In Ryazan, Russia, our partners are members of Hope Baptist Church, which, despite religious persecution and economic difficulties, is a growing and thriving ministry. Our members participate in mission trips every few years.
- In Mexico, we partner with Accion Ministries and VIM, which provide residential care for poor children from the surrounding villages where there are no middle or high schools, as well as a few children who are orphaned or live under difficult situations.
Both adults and youth at First Presbyterian participate in domestic and international mission trips. Contact the Reverend Erika Funk if you are interested in our global missions.